Best Educational Toys for 4 Year Olds
Toys for 4 Year Olds
Age four is the year that many children start school and by the time they have their fourth birthday, many will also have started at pre-school or nursery, meaning that learning is beginning to become more structured.
Educational toys for 4 year olds are therefore a great option for kids at this age as they encourage learning and development in a fun way. That being said by this age kids are also getting a lot choosier about the things they want to play with. They are developing their personality and their own interests.
Educational toys can also take many forms. There are the obvious numeracy or literacy-based toys including magnetic letters or number games that are great for children to have available to them at this age and can be used to help encourage and develop their learning at home. But as well as this there are lots of other toys that are very much educational such as puzzles and games, puppets, blocks or physical toys.
Classic Educational Toys
We have a great range of classical educational toys that are great for 4-year-olds. These include:
- The Big Jigs number and times tables trays are brilliant for helping kids with learning their numbers and their times’ tables. At 4 they are unlikely to be able to count to 100 but you will be surprised how quickly they learn and how much difference it makes having the numbers in front of them to help them learn.
- Tidlo Magnetic Letters. These are great for when your child starts learning their letters and you can use them to build recognition and start learning sounds and building words.
- The Big Jigs Add and Subtract Box. This is a really great resource for home learning that includes lots of simple addition and subtraction calculations for them to practice. Perfect for homeschooling or homework.
- Teaching Clocks. There are lots of great options for teaching clocks that are a fun way for children to start learning to tell the time. And while they might not get it straight away at age 4 having a toy clock is a great way to get them started.
- Weather boards. These are so popular with this age group as they offer such a range of opportunities for learning. Most include the days of the week, the months and the seasons and as well as daily weather observations so there are lots of opportunities for talking about the weather and the seasons, looking forward to specific dates, and celebrating different holidays.
Other Great Educational Toys
These are some of our favourite educational toys for 4-year-olds that are less obviously designed for learning.
- Balancing toys such as the Big Jigs Weather Balancing Game. This is a really cute toy, a fun game and great for learning about strategy, balance and taking turns.
- Threading games are great for 4-year-olds as they develop a lot of the skills they will need for writing without them feeling like they are practising holding a pencil.
- Puzzles are available at every level and provide huge benefits even into adulthood. They require us to use both sides of the brain which is brilliant for supporting learning, and many also have educational content.
- Physical toys like a wobbel board or balance bike are also great for supporting education at this age as children need to keep active to keep their minds working.
Next Up: What Games Do 4 Year Olds Like to Play?