Birthday Gifts for 2-Year-Old Boys and Girls
Birthday gifts for 2 year olds
There are so many toys for two-year-olds as by this point they are really starting to get into everything. They can walk and talk. Colour sorting, posting, stacking and building are all great fun and they're beginning to enjoy mimicking you and gradually getting into role play.
There are many reasons you may need to buy a gift for a 2nd birthday, and you may or may not have a 2-year-old yourself. And if you don't have children or they are much older or younger there's a good chance you have no idea where to start. Our range of toys for year olds is extensive so we've tried to narrow down the options depending on how much you want to spend.
Birthday gifts for £15 and under. Perfect for parties.
Second birthday parties don't tend to be massive affairs, it hasn't really got to whole class territory yet, so the chances are if you are shopping for a second birthday gift you know at least one of the parents. However, that doesn't mean you necessarily want to spend a fortune, so with that in mind here are our top picks for under £15.
- Memory games. We love the Big Jigs sock matching game and the Tender Leaf Toys clever cat memory game. Little ones can start off just by matching the pairs and will soon be able to play the full game. These games are fun to play with toddlers, great to slowly teach turn-taking, and developing concentration skills.
- Simple Puzzles. Big Jigs and Goula both have a fantastic range of simple puzzles that are perfect for this age and start at just £5. We particularly love the cog puzzle and the magnetic puzzles. The magnetic puzzles are a fishing game and a puzzle combined making them great value for money.
- Stacking toys. You can get some great stacking toys for under £15 and they are always a winner. Toddlers love stacking things up and knocking them down and these type of toys offer plenty of opportunities for development through play.
- Bath toys are an easy win when it comes to present buying for 2-year-olds. We love Green Toys as they have lots of affordable options that are perfect for the bath but can also be used for regular play and don't mind being played with outside.
- If none of the above particularly appeal have a look at Tender Leaf toys. They offer a great range of toys for toddlers that have a really pleasing aesthetic.
Gifts for 2-year-old boys and girls £15 to £50
If you're looking to spend a bit more there are literally hundreds of options that are great for two-year-olds.
- Vehicles are always a popular choice especially with little boys and you can't get much better than Indigo Jamm. The range starts at just £16 for Motorbike Micky and includes everything from aeroplanes and campervans to emergency service vehicles and even a rocket and a UFO.
- Green toys also have a great range of vehicles that can also be used outdoors or in the bath.
- If you think a doll would go down well then the Rubens cuties are always adored. Plus you can buy lots of additional outfits which will help with developing both fine motor and self-care skills.
- A lockbox. This is a perfect toy for toddlers and will keep them amused and focused for a surprisingly long time.
- Role play toys. They love to copy you so their own little toolbox, dustpan and brush, toaster or tea set.
- Musical toys. Percussion instruments are perfect for toddlers as they can play along when you sing and mimic rhythm. Plus they are generally less noisy than banging your pan lids together.
High-value gifts if you can afford to splurge
If you can afford to splash out there are some amazing toys you can buy for 2-year-olds that they will love for years to come.
- Ride on toys. Whether its a scooter or a bus or even a balance bike, 2 is the perfect age for a ride on toy. They are steady on their feet by this point and ready to start exploring the world at speed. And while you may think they are too little for a bike, balance bikes are surprisingly easy for even little kids to get the hang of.
- A wobble board is a great gift for any age. You'll certainly get the most out of it if you start them young, and they offer a wonderful opportunity for encouraging strength and movement even on days when you can't get outside.
- A kitchen is another great gift for a 2-year-old and definitely something they will use for several years. At age two they are more into mimicking than role play, but the role play will come and it seems a shame to wait until they are three if you can afford to splash out now.
Next up: How many toys should a 2-year-old have?