Find playsets and gifts perfect for your three year old
As children develop more complex vocabulary and a better understanding of the world around them their games become more complex and imaginative. By the time they get to three years old, they will probably love role-play games such as playing doctor or making endless cups of tea for you and their dolls.
Wooden train sets have been a favourite toy for 3 year olds for generations, they spark hours of creative and imaginative play as well as being great for developing loads of key skills. Plus dolls, fire engines, superheroes, and of course beautiful wooden animals are always popular with little ones.
Pretend Play Toys: Perfect for a 3 year old
We have a great range of kitchens and accessories, all chosen because they are high quality and come from companies with strong ethical principles. A play kitchen will keep your three year old amused for hours at a time as they prepare breakfast, cook up a feast, or serve customers in a cafe or restaurant.
TheTenderleaf Stove set is great if you don't have space for a full-size play kitchen, and there are so many amazing accessories to choose from.
The doctor's sets, Plan Toys makeup and tool belts are always popular for role play and how many three year olds wouldn't want their own tool bench. And of course, a pushchair or mini carrier for babywearing are bound to go down well with little ones who like to play mummies and daddies.
Small World Play: Makes a great gift.
Like role play, small world play is wonderful for language building, imagination and creativity. Traditional wooden toys for kids like dolls houses, garages, railway sets, fire stations and castles are all perfect backdrops to open-ended small world play. As our forests and farmyards are filled with animals.
Big Jigs have some amazing small world playsets that are perfect for three year olds. Beautifully constructed with loads of lovely features they are great for inspiring little imaginations. As well as the usual fire station and farm sets, their mini farm set is great if you are looking for compact toys for travel, we are particularly loving the Dino Island and Polar Glacier. I mean who wouldn't love a pretend ice bergh complete with Eskimo's and six animals including a whale and a penguin.
Holztiger and Ostheimer make stunningly beautiful wooden animals and figures. All handmade and painted with water based stains, both these brands make gorgeous toys that children will love to collect and play with for many years. Choose your favourite or mix and match. Then watch as their little imaginations create and act out all kinds of scenarios.
Story sacks are also a great way of encouraging small worlds and imaginative play as children recreate stories they have heard and expand on their favourite characters' adventures.
Their building and stacking toys will also make great props for imaginative play as they become castles, caves, forest hideouts, boats and animal enclosures.
A Wooden Train Set
A wooden train set is a great toy for a three year old, great for sparking their imaginations, and learning and developing loads of key skills. Putting together the track might seem easy to us but when you are three it requires patience, dexterity and fine motor skills. Not to mention the problem-solving ability to figure out which pieces go where to get your train from A to B. And there are so many great wooden train set accessories to choose from that these make perfect gifts. I mean who wouldn't want a Trex tunnel or a fairy garden to spark little imaginations?
This is a toy that is likely to be played with for years and will certainly be durable enough to pass on to the next generation.
We also stock a great range of educational games that are perfect for preschoolers. Learn about numbers and letters, magnets and stacking or even how to tell the time with fun and engaging toys.
We love the Plan Toys My Mood Memo game, great for memory games and talking about and understanding emotions. The Bajo fox or Plan Toys Tie Up Shoe are great for fine motor skills and learning to tie your shoelaces, and there are lots of beautiful number and letter puzzles.
Our top gifts for three year olds
There are so many amazing gifts for three year olds available. This is an age when they are into everything, learning at an incredible rate of knots, and so active and imaginative it's hard to keep up. We have an amazing range of toys on the site that we have chosen not only because they are great for kids but also because they are made by companies that source their materials responsibly and treat their staff fairly, meaning we have filtered out quite a lot of toys you might find elsewhere. Nonetheless we still stock a pretty epic range, so if you are in need of a bit of guidance here are some of our top gifts for three year olds.
- A wooden toy kitchen - if you haven't already get one a toy kitchen is a great way to keep a 3 year old amused for hours at a time. There are loads of options available depending on your budget and how much space you have available. Plus the accessories make great gifts, perfect if you are compiling a christmas of birthday list to send to friends and relatives.
- A Doctors Kit - As mentioned 3 year olds love role play. A doctors set is a fabulous toy that can provide hours of fun as well as being a lovely way to learn about empathy and emotions. This would also make a lovely gift for a three year old going to hospital.
- Musical Instruments - Perfect from tiny tots to teenagers musical instruments are perfect for teaching your 3 year old about rhythm and patterns. It's great fun to play along with them and see how they copy the rhythms you are making. These are toys that will hopefully be loved for years so it's worth making the investment now and building up a collection over time.
- Wooden Animals - Another toy that will stand the test of time and be played with for years if not generations. By the age of three years old, your little one will probably have a pretty good knowledge of different types of animals. Start a collection of farm animals, wild animals or dinosaurs, or use collect sets to use in story sacks. We love how well the Holztiger Animals stack meaning they are perfect not only for encouraging imaginative and creative play developing narrative thought and vocabulary but also for building dexterity, concentration and fine motor skills.
- A Doll - Nothing is better for playing role play games and learning empathy that a beautiful doll. Rubens barn makes a fabulous range of soft dolls. Many are suitable from birth but the Rubens Barn original and Little Rubens are reserved for those over 3 years old.
And of course, don't forget you can always get in touch with our fabulous customer services team if you need a bit of help deciding.
Fun Toys for Both Boys and Girls
Erm, sorry. Whether you are looking for toys for a specific gender, you just won’t find them because we just have toys! We strongly believe that these playsets should be gender-neutral and enjoyed by little kids. Whether it's a kitchen, a fire engine or remote control cars, girls and boys can play with them.
Check out our playset section, which divides toys into different types of play set. Such as wooden trains, fire engine, farm toys, etc. To find jigsaws puzzles, we have them under our educational toys. We have an amazing range of jigsaw puzzles, with jigsaw puzzles for age 1 up to age 13! Our pretend play section, is where children can step into the role of pretend play, such as kitchens, shopping & construction toys, etc. Our learning resources include a wide range of toys like games and toys with sound effects and sensory toys.