What is beauty balm?
What is beauty balm?
Natural beauty balm, like those made by Lyonsleaf and Balm Balm is a multipurpose beauty must-have for nourished and radiant skin. A little pot of wonder that could replace any number of your existing products saving both money and packaging.
These oil-based balms have been designed to work as both a cleanser (using the oil cleansing method) and a moisturiser. And because they don’t contain water there is no need for preservatives, emulsifiers or in fact anything other than a blend of antioxidant and vitamin-rich natural oils.
Beauty balm is perfect for cleansing and gently exfoliating daily, easily removing even water-proof make-up, sunscreen and general daily grime as well as gently unblocking pores, balancing the skin, and lifting away dead skin.
Because beauty balms are oil-based (no soap or chemicals here) they don’t strip the skin of its natural oils, meaning no over-compensation, no dryness and an improved skin barrier leading to a clearer and more youthful-looking complexion.
Once the skin is cleansed beauty balm can be used as both a daily moisturiser (if you need it once you have switched to oil cleansing) and a deeply calming and hydrating mask.
Plus you can use it on any areas of dry skin, including lips, heels and elbows, and it makes a great hand and nail balm.
What beauty balm is not
For our purpose here beauty balm is not to be confused with BB cream, which can stand for either blemish balm or beauty balm. This is another great multi-use beauty product that evens skin tone and moisturises while often containing SPF and light-reflecting particles. It can be used as a moisturiser, primer, and as a lighter alternative to foundation.
Why we love beauty balm
There are many reasons to love a beauty balm. Here are our top 5:
- 1. The fact that beauty balms don’t contain any water means they are packed with nothing but active ingredients chosen for their skin-boosting qualities. That means no preservatives, no emulsifiers, and no artificial fragrances or other chemical nasties. Many beauty products contain a lot of water so you get great value for money with a beauty balm.
- 2. They work for all skin types. Because a beauty balm is designed to work with your skin, supporting its natural functions, and because there are no nasties, beauty balms can be used by everyone. Young, old, oily dry or sensitive.
- 3. Oil cleansing really works. 1 product and a washcloth or muslin will remove make-up, cleanse and nourish the skin, gently exfoliate, and improve your skin barrier. So you can ditch the make-up remover, the foaming cleanser, and the scrub.
- 4. Intensive moisture. These balms offer an intense moisture boost whenever you need it. If you have dry skin you can use a little as a daily moisturiser, and you can smother on a thick layer before you go to bed for an intense moisture boost.
- 5. One product made from natural plant oils with no filler and minimal packaging is better for the planet and your pocket.
Lyonsleaf make the most amazing beauty balm as well as other waterless beauty products. You can find out more about how to use Lyonsleaf beauty balm here.